Hi All,

Can anyone tell me whether there is a way (call) in OSG to say what type of
object a plugin will produce ? i.e. if I have a file "A.jpg" and I call
osgDB::Registry::instance()->getReaderWriterForExtension passing in the file
extension, I get the readerwriter. What I would like to know is what ObjectType
that readerwrite would return.

The reason for the question is I'm updating the ReaderWriterZip plugin to
handle in-memory zip extraction, and I want to be able to give it a zip file
that contains many files of varying format. Rippling through the zip file I can
get the individual files, and their content, and unzip them in memory, but the
issue I have is that I don't really want to have a big If statement in the
plugin to look at the known file extensions and to say whether I should be
calling ReadNode or ReadImage. I would like to be able to enquire the type of
Object that the reader would produce, and then have a simple switch statement
like the Curl plugin.

One route I thought of would be to add to extend each plugin to have a function
based that returns the type of object, and I guess this would be fairly
straight forward, but before delving in, I just wanted to check if there is a
method already available.

Many thanks for any help.

Neil.