I've seen a few other threads about osgdem with non-accelerated graphics, I've
tried it myself and am curious about the details of why it won't work.

I have ubuntu 8.10 running in virtualbox, have libgl1-mesa-glx installed (which
has mesa '7.2-1ubuntu2'), and osg 2.8.0 builds fine and running osgviewer
cow.osg also works.  VPB also built okay.

When running osgdem, these errors are output (and no processing of textures or
height maps is done, and no output files created):

Error: :0.0 no Pbuffer support in GLX available.
Error: Not able to create requested visual.
Error: Unable to create graphis context, problem with running osgViewer-2.8.0,
cannot run compression.
Elapsed time = 0.174421

The first error is because glXQueryVersion says the opengl version number is
only 1.2 (and glxInfo concurs).  The mesa website claims support for 1.3 for
years, so I don't understand this.  And the last error is because the creation
of a GraphicsContext fails- I haven't look too deeply at that one.

osgprerender cow.osg --pbuffer runs as if it is working, but also outputs an
error about 'no Pbuffer support in GLX available'- maybe falling through to
another prerendering method?

I'll probably inquire on a mesa forum, but if anyone can point out the opengl
functions OSG is calling that might be failing that would help.

Thanks

-Lucas