Hi Martin,

About 15 years ago I did some work computing a best fit plane to a
series of point used a least-squares alogrithm.  I did the maths on
paper and eventually derived a 4x4 matrix that I jut had to invert to
get the result.  I can't remeber the details though, you'll find stuff
on this on the web these days though, you shouldn't have to derive
things from first principles now.  The osg::Matrix class has an invert
so it should have all the maths support you need, you just need to
work out the values to put in the matrix... that's the hard part.

Robert.