From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org]on Behalf Of Robert
Osfield
Sent: 28 April 2009 09:29
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] Multiple Shaders Performance Question

Hi Paul,

Different drivers manage compilation and linking in different ways on
different drivers so it's hard to give any hard rules.

In general making sure your scene graph is pre-compile before
rendering helps avoid most problems with compiles occur during
rendering.

Robert.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:46 AM,  <paul1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have multiple shaders. I attach one shader to the root of the scene
graph. I then load in objects and attach one of another set of shaders to
the root of the object and attach it to the main scene graph. When I say
"attach a shader", I'm loading a fragment and vertex shader from a file and
attaching them to a new Program object each time. I then attach the Program
object to the object's state set.

> Is there any performance advantage to doing it this way or creating one
Program object for each shader and attach these same Program object to my
objects. Or should I be creating a set of StateSet's and attaching the
appropriate StateSet to my object based on the Shader I want to use.

> To complicate things, I have multiple cameras used to render to multiple
Frame Buffer Objects.

> What I'm seeing is a (single) missed frame when an object with a "new"
shader appears in the Field of View (running at 120Hz)?

> Could OSG be attempting to "recompile" my shader? Is driver downloading
the shader each time to the video card.