> To me it's looks like we are consistently getting a lot more support
> queries about the Collada plugin than any other our plugins.

I think you are right, but this may also mean many people actually want to use
this plugin. Of course plugins without external dependencies are easiest to
build, but the Collada plugin support requests are not only about building it.

> Firstly that the OSG Collada plugin only supports version 1.4 of the Collada
> Schema, and as arr as I know version 2.1 of the Collada DOM implementation
> (it may work with 2.2 but I seem to remember some outstanding problems) and
> needs to be specifically linked against a build of the Collada DOM that is
> made for those versions

Well, it also works with the DOM 2.2, but unfortunately it generates a DLL with
21 in the name. As long as the schema is 1.4

> In the context of port our Collada plugin across to use our own .dae
> parsing code I think that the low level parsing code itself is an
> order of magnitude less work that the actual work on the dae side.

I totally agree. It's a complex puzzle to map the Collada features onto the Osg
features. That's why I created morphing for osgAnimation. ATI also added
several nodes to support more complex effects and there's certainly more that
we won't be able to map to osg easily.
The real challenge will be to lift it to more than simply a geometry loader
that most of the Collada supporting engines/tools have built.

However my gut feeling tells me that rolling our own Collada parser and
maintaining it is opening up a bees nest.
The current Collada plugin supports both reading and writing of Collada files.
I believe libxml2 is not used for XML schema validation, but the validation is
done when trying to create the objects represented in the Collada schema (code
generated from the Collada schema). Furthermore more advanced XML things like
proper URI resolving are also part of the DOM library.

A quick glance through the DOM source code tells me what the DOM dependencies
are used for:
-boost for cross-platform file system boost::filesystem, only this part is
included with the DOM
-libxml (default)
xml parser pluging that can validate against a XML schema
(alternatively one can use a TinyXml based plugin)
-minizip for loading zae files (zip compressed dae files)
-pcre for parsing of URI's with regular expressions

Furthermore I expect it to be easier to switch to newer versions of the Collada
schema when using the DOM library (although I have not looked at porting to 1.5
yet)

My two cents.

--
Roland