Hi Alfonso,

I'm doing something similar to what you are doing. My viewer is running in it's own thread. I have a shared object that I use to communicate between the threads. If you are looking for sample code, I can try to distill what I have to something relatively simple.

I'm using the boost threads library. It seems to work quite well and is cross platform. Have you written multi-threaded apps before? Are you familiar with mutexes (mutices?), conditions, volatile variables, spurious wakes, etc...?

If you aren't familiar with the boost stuff, I would recommend spending some time getting familiar with it.

Aside: if anybody can explain why spurious wakes exist, I'd love to hear an explanation.

Cory

Alfonso Callejo Goena wrote:
Hello everyone:

I'm developing a OSG-based graphic engine for a real time mechanical simulator. I would like that the physics and the graphic display would run in separate threads so that they could work independently without bothering each other. The communication between them is a kind of buffer or list to which the physics program pushes the last calculation and the graphic program pulls the appropriate one.
I don't know which is the best (and most simple) way of setting up and managing the threads. Does the osgViewer class have a way of doing this? Where can I find an example which follows this technique?

Thank you,
Alfonso