I have a similar problem, some models with too heavvy texture to put on the web... The models were not so many so , for the ones with little geometry I just used a chain of PagedLOD with the same geometry but with texture of incresing resolution. I did the conversion by hand but I' m currently trying to do it in an automatic way.
This approach has the problem of replicating geometry.
I have also tried to putt al the geometry into ProxyNodes and then refernce them in the PageLOD structure... but this seem result in multiple loading of the same
proxy... I thought all files were cached, as images do...

Your approach seem interesting, but how you decide when the ImagePagedLOD switch? the PagedLOD inherit the switching from LOD....

Sorry for the long post.. but it is an interesting argument for me now...

Thanks
     Luigi

neil.hug...@tesco.net ha scritto:
Hi All,

Has anyone come across a scenario where they wished to have PagedLOD that
instead of handling Nodes, handle images ?

Essentially I find myself in a position where I have a model that references a texture, but that texture is quite large, and even with reducing the texture size with little compromise in quality, the time to stream over the web is too large. So, what I'm considering is replacing the image load call, with a similar concept to that of PagedLOD's whereby I could give the "PagedImageLOD" object a list of ordered image file names that I want it to progressively load - in much the same way that apps like google map appears to work. The first image file could be a 2x2 pixel image, whilst the nth image file would be the full-on image. I would want the "PagedImageLOD" to return a valid Image node immediately - perhaps a hard coded small default image - whilst in the background the specified image filesnames are being downloaded, and replace the content of the created image node.
The reason for this sort of functionality would be that I could then intercept
all image load requests via my own callback handler, replace with a
PagedImageLOD request, and still permit most plugins to work happily on the
assumption that a model plugin that loads an image is probably only trying to
reference that image in some stateset context.

Sorry for the thought dump, but has anyone tried/needed to do a similar thing,
and if so is there an example available ?

Alternatively, if you can think of a better way that would be good as well.
Most obvious alternative - that of have an LOD node on the model - would be
fine if I only had one or two models. However, I have thousands of different
models, so can't really ask our modellers to redo all these.

Many thanks for any help/thoughts.

Kind regards

Neil.

.to whose content was progressively replaced by the downloaded images. In this way I could _______________________________________________