Hi,

We also have some multi-touch devices here (a FTIR projection table and a
PQLabs screen). We've made it works with OSG by adding some custom data to
the classic events. For example for a mouse push, we add the mouse ID as an
user data. Our FTIR table use the TUIO protocol and we've made an OSG event
handler based on it, it works without problems.

As the democratization of such devices is on the way, it should be
interesting to add this kind of data (touch ID, touch size...) directly into
the OSG event structure to be able to make MatrixManipulators or
EventHandlers taking advantage of it directly into the Core OSG.

Another solution for you is using for example PQLabs embedded feature to
bind a multi-touch gesture (like rotating) to a key from the keyboard. With
this solution you can easily simulate a multi-touch behavior, but it will
not be very precise.

Cheers,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Stephan Huber <ratzf...@digitalmind.de>wrote:

> Hi,
> Christian Buchner schrieb:
>
> > My boss was running my 3D engineering app on a 32 inch touch screen
> > (no multi-touch yet, I suppose) and he liked how he was able to rotate
> > the camera with a fingertip.
> >
> > That gave me an idea - are there any affordable Multi-touch LCD
> > screens (standalone)
>
> There are some solutions for two-point multitouch, for more tracked
> points there are some solutions on the horizon, but IMHO not available
> yet. Most multitouch solutions use back-projection and capturing the
> field of input with a infrared-camera with the help of infrared-laser,
> -leds.
>
> > and how difficult would it be to add Multitouch
> > capabilities to OSG? In particular I was wondering what it would take
> > to support Multi-Touch capabilities in the various Camera manipulators
> > -  and how to get the "special" input events from various operating
> > systems (Mac, Windows, Linux).
>
> There's an opensoruce protocol called tuio which sends a stream of
> events via UDP to a host. So you can change tracking solutions without
> changing your source.
>
> > In particular zooming with two fingers would be extremely cool ("the
> > pinch" gesture) , and grabbing an object with two fingers, rotating it
> > (or the camera around it) in the 3D view according to how the two
> > fingers move.
>
> There's no infrastructure in osg yet, but you can easily adapt some of
> the matrixmanipulators and add multitouch--support.
>
> here you'll find some links: http://delicious.com/sth/Multitouch
>

> Hope that helps,
>
> Stephan

Serge Lages