Ok, I've discovered the seemingly innocuous problem.  When I had tried to
comment out all the shader related code in the GetGeode function, I was left
with this:

Code:
osg::Geode* getGeode( osg::Texture2D& targetTexture )
{
   osg::Geode* geode = new osg::Geode;
   geode->setName("quad");

   osg::Vec3 llCorner = osg::Vec3(-0.5,0,-0.5);
   osg::Vec3 width = osg::Vec3(1,0,0);
   osg::Vec3 height = osg::Vec3(0,0,1);

   //////////
   // QUAD //
   //////////
   osg::Geometry* geom = osg::createTexturedQuadGeometry( llCorner, width,
height );
   geode->addDrawable( geom );
   geode->getOrCreateStateSet()->setTextureAttribute( 0, &targetTexture,
osg::StateAttribute::ON );

   return geode;
}

This code resulted in this:
[Image: http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5796/craph.jpg ]
Instead of this:
[Image: http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7946/correctj.jpg ]

The problem was with the use of setTextureAttribute function.  I was seeing the
osg::StateAttribute::ON parameter and was fooled into thinking that was doing
something.  So substituting setTextureAttributeAndModes did the trick.  Lesson
learned.  Thanks Mick.