"Jean-Sébastien Guay" <jean-sebastien.g...@cm-labs.com> wrote:

> But that doesn't answer my question of what happens for OSG? For
> example, if you want to build the COLLADA plugin, do you need both the
> debug and release COLLADA libs even on Linux? Or does the release lib
> get used for both if you don't have the debug version (as we now do)? I
> don't know, I never build OSG with COLLADA support on Linux... But
> you'll note that there are variables COLLADA_DYNAMIC_LIBRARY and
> COLLADA_DYNAMIC_LIBRARY_DEBUG, so I assume it will run into the same
> issues as we are here.

Not really - the debug version of the library on Linux means only two things -
the library keeps debug symbols and is (usually) compiled without
optimizations, in order to keep debugging easier.  There is no different memory
allocator or anything like that like on Windows, so the debug/release versions
are fully interchangeable. So you do not *need* the debug version.

Whether or not debug is replaced by release in the absence of the debug
versions for the COLLADA plugin, I do not know, though.

In general, on a non-Windows platform if you are not going to debug the plugin
itself or OSG, it is perfectly fine to build only release versions. The
consequence will be that e.g. in a backtrace you wouldn't be able to see the
exact line of the code if a crash occurs in the plugin (the debug symbols are
gone), but that is all. Even that could be alleviated by building as
RelWithDebInfo (release, but not stripped, keeps debug symbols). The only
issues will be be that certain optimizations that reorder code interfere with
debugging (gdb shows wrong line) and the files are larger. But everything else
works.

> >> Jan, can you update osgOcean and see if that works for you?
> >
> > I did, but it tries to build *both* debug and release when I run cmake .
> > :
>
> [...]
>
> > For the record, svn update shows me at revision 138 as being up-to-date -
> > the same as yesterday. When did you make the change?
>
> Sorry, I had made the change into the 1.0 branch instead of the trunk.
> Try to update again and it should be better.

Indeed, it works fine now. Thanks!

Regards,

Jan