Hi Andrew,

Just to throw another requirement into the mix, I don't think we can use vertex shaders, as we cannot guarantee what hardware the software will be run on. Basically integrated graphics is the lowest possible hardware, so what's that, DirectX 8? 9? Vertex shaders run on DX8 but you won't get many instructions.

Well you're kind of juggling conflicting requirements. You want the app to run on low-end graphics, but you want to reduce its CPU-side memory usage to a minimum by not storing normals. Generally you have a trade-off to make by using more memory and getting good performance, and getting lower performance but using less memory. That's just the way it goes, but you'll have to try to know for sure. No one has a situation exactly like yours, we can only offer guidance.

We've given you a few different alternatives, now you have to weigh the pros and cons yourselves. Perhaps try a few of the alternatives in a little test program before making changes in your software itself, and test the alternatives in realistic settings (with lots of objects for example) looking at the stats each time.

If you really want to use normal indices, try it out, but as Robert said (and I and others have said before in this thread) this will drop you down to slow paths. If that's good enough for you, then fine, but you won't know unless you try it.

Hope this helps,

J-S