Hi Robert, hi all,

Glad to see there's a half-solution. But I must admit I got more questions than
before!

I guess UnrefImageAfterApply won't be called if I don't even display the scene,
so how will writers behave? If they try to read image data, that won't work of
course.
But will they simply write the image filename, and will writeImageFile() simply
do nothing with an Image having no data?

Do you think it would be useful that we (or "I") create an osg::ImageProxy
class? Derivated from osg::Image? Or is there something that already does it?
This ImageProxy may be handled by image reader/writers by simply copying or
ignoring the file (if there is no change in the file extension).

And about the texture, should it call something like "bool Image::onApplied()"
in UnrefImageAfterApply()?
- For Images, it would simply return true, meaning the texture should unref the
image,
- For ProxyImages, it would unload the data and return false, meaning the
texture must not unref.

If you got better ideas, I'm all ears!
Cheers,

Sukender