Hi Martin,

I can afford buying a different graphics card and am flexible in regards to operating system, I would only like to have information on a confirmed working setup. So has anybody managed to get a good looking shadow, preferably PSSM, working?

OSG's PSSM implementation has been finicky for a while - I haven't seen it work very well in the past year or so. No fixes have been made and I'm partially to blame for that, but LiSPSM works well for me so I haven't had the need to help fix PSSM.

For me, ShadowMap, SoftShadowMap and LiSPSM (StandardShadowMap which is not view-dependent and is mostly equivalent to ShadowMap, as well as LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMapCB, VB and DB) work well across a large range of video cards (certainly all the nVidia cards from the 7xxx line forward, and some ATI models as well).

You say you get mostly black objects. Is this in your own software that uses a shadow technique, or is it in the osgshadow example? If the osgshadow example works well, then you might have some fixes to make to the way you use the shadow technique - giving it the appropriate light source, fixing shaders, or appropriately setting the node masks, or something like that.

Try:

osgshadow --sm -3
osgshadow --ssm -3
osgshadow --lispsm -4

If those work, you can send the source of a small example of a program which exhibits the problems you see in your own code. We can probably help.

J-S