Hi Chris,

  Do you guys have any special tips on setting up a nightly build environment?
Or just --
go at it and see what happens.

See the wiki page here:

http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Build/CDash

If all you want is to build nightly (as opposed to publishing the build results on the dashboard) then you can build the INSTALL project in the Release and Debug configurations (or whatever you want) with that same procedure, just replace Nightly with INSTALL.

You can obviously customize the batch file that's given on that page to do what you want. I personally do this:

call "%VS80COMNTOOLS%vsvars32.bat"
devenv %1% %2% %3% /project %4%

so that I can call it with arguments like:

<OSG from SVN>\build\OpenSceneGraph.sln /build Debug INSTALL
<OSG from some branch we're RCing>\build\OpenSceneGraph.sln /rebuild Release Nightly

or whatever combination I want. And I can even use it for other projects than OSG. Then I created a scheduled task that calls this batch file any number of times to build the configurations I want built (one task can run multiple commands in sequence, and I find this better for builds since it makes sure two builds don't run at the same time).

Hope this helps,

J-S