Hi Luigi,

What about having a repo of "working recipes" where people who "have the itch and have successfully scratched" can share the recipe in a somehow formalized way.

In my previous mail, I' m suggesting use of Cmake external projects as a way to formalize download,unpack,patch,configure,make and install.... we could also think for simple plugins, some high level read-write testing based on osgconv.

Yes, I agree with the principle of CMakePorts. It seemed promising about a year ago when it was announced, has any progress been made since then? Seems to me it has always built the same small list of dependencies, no more... Of course, if people don't get involved, it won't progress. So I would second your suggestion to Adrian that he somehow contribute to that instead of making / asking for binaries. It'll profit more people if he does that.

What about automating the download+install process? would it be still illegal?

You'd have to check the QuickTime SDK's licensing terms, but traditionally any large corporate entity (say Microsoft, Apple, etc.) who distributes an SDK will object if some other site hosts their binaries, but not if some other site simply automates the process. Of course, you then have the responsibility to make sure the download link you use stays valid / is updated when it changes on that entity's web site... And sometimes they may use devious tricks like scripts / cookies that will block automated downloading from a fixed link and will force a human user to manually download it.

However those are the minority of dependencies... If one or two dependencies need the user to download something, but most others (say 10 or 20) can be downloaded automatically, then there's already a huge net gain in using your system.

J-S