On 2/22/2010 1:55 PM, Robert Osfield wrote:
> _Is another version control system the way to go for more distributed
> development?_
>
> I do think that the type of version control system is secondary to the
> importance to having individual or small groups of developers taking
> responsibility for specific parts of OSG code base.  We could possible
> break up into small working groups, with each group taking
> responsibility for a family of components of the OSG - such as a plugin
> working group, an examples working group, a serializers working group
> etc.  These working groups might have individuals within them
> concentrate on particular components such as the OpenFlight or 3DS
> plugin etc.

  I think this is worthwhile, and I agree that there is little that is
fundamentally wrong
with SVN.

  I have said before that I think it would be nice if code submissions could be
made via
SVN somehow, maybe to a 'scratch' or 'working' tree, and from there, migrated
to the real
codebase by approval, or reverted. I don't know if SVN really facilitates this,
or if
something else might, but (despite the existence of the osg-submissions list,
which you
may recall, was one of my suggestions) I think the submissions process could be
improved a
lot AND make your life easier. Really. No more diffs, weird e-mail attachment
problems,
etc. Changes would have to be against current versions of the source.

  I know you don't like issues trackers/queues, but I think you're in the
minority there.
Many people I know would like to be able to record bugs for which fixes aren't
currently
available, or requests that can't be currently satisfied. As well, being able
to follow
the lifespan of an issue is nice, and having all submissions in one place along
with their
respective problems and supporting data is also effective. Virtually every
large project I
work on uses this process pretty successfully and would fall apart without it.
It also
gives non-core people an idea of what they might be able to work on to
contribute.

  GDAL seems to have a pretty good process on a lot of these techniques.

  Perhaps another role, that of issue maintainer(s) could help this out.