Hi Torben,

Nick's answer most of your questions so I won't dive into the details.  What
I would like to add is that last week I refactor OpenThreads::ReentrantMutex
and Mutex so that the later now provides an option in its constructor for
deciding whether to set up a reentrant/recusrive mutex or a standard one,
with ReentrantMutex now just subclassing from Mutex and setting the default
to the reentrant/recursive mutex.

Implementation wise Mutex now utilities the underlying threading support for
these two types of mutex, rather than attempting to implement itself with
it's own counters.  The old manual scheme was had some subtle bugs in it
that weren't straight forward to fix so rather than attempt this I just
opted to utilising the native support for reentrant/recursive mutexes - in
the case of windows all mutexes are reentrant so it's effectively a noop,
but for pthreads based systems the mutex type is set to be recursive.

Now I'd recommend using svn/trunk or 2.9.7 to get the latest incarnation of
ReentrantMutex, otherwise there is a chance that you might uncover one of
the conditions that could break the old ReentrantMutex.

Robert.