Rafa Gaitan wrote:
Hi Luigi,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Luigi Calori <l.cal...@cineca.it> wrote:

Great to hear there is someone else who is going along this (tiring) path...

I had the impression that web apps was a topic with little appealing in this
community:
maybe after  Google Earth plugin,O3D, Unity and WebGL.... web 3d will be
considered even here....

Is your project going to be released on open source license?

Yes, we are planning to made it public with the OSGPL license. We also
want to submit it as an OSG example, so others could improve it and
make the port to other platforms, or even do a kind of NodeKit for web

thoughts?.
Well... i have no idea of how you have arranged the build system, I have used cmake for almost all the step: configuring: (finding needed deps ), building, some testing and the packing (xpi building).
So my setup is more a kind of an external project, using OSG..
I am not sure such a project could be packed as an OSG example
In that case, I' ll be glad to cooperate.

Nice! :)

We have worked on ffox plugin since quite a long time, mainly on windows, as
this platform is by far the most attractive for web browser app,:
both for number of users as well as for ease of deployment (building cross
distrib linux binaries was quite difficult.... sic)
did not found an easy way of building distribution neutral linux
binaries.... and it seem even you got some problems, at least on my amd64
kububtu 9, it does not seem to work... sic

We only tested on ubuntu 32 bits, not a 64 bits build yet. Yes, deploy
a firefox plugin on linux is a crazy task, we deployed the linux
version with OSG(2.9.7) compiled in static, and it gave us lots of
problems (OSG files are not able to load, and so on), but at least we
have a first version working.
In my tests I used standard .so deployment, as in windows... I have an old version deployed at http://3d.cineca.it/storage/OSG4Web_test/Linux/test.html Being it old, it has set up the max version in the install set up to 3.0.x, I' ll let you know as soon as I have a newer one.
Did you used npruntime for javascript wrapping?
When we started our www,virtualrome.it effort, npruntime was not available,
but now it seem the right way to go.

Leo could answer you better to this question! :).
I'm waiting...
I see your plugin is running in the same process as FFox, this means that a
crash on the plugin crashes also FFx itself.
For this reason we are experimenting with separate process  (a la Google
Earth plugin )

mmh interesting, I'll tell Leo study this too.

You can see example here:
http://muvi.cineca.it/3d/sites/muvi/3d.html?Plug=simple_runprocess&Exe=osg_embed_viewer_2&Core=FunCore&URL=http://muvi.cineca.it/3d/sites/muvi/model_30_new/top_ti_eo.ive

click on Mostra 3d
click on Install osg4web_t...@cineca.it
<http://3d.cineca.it/storage/OSG4Web_test/downloads/Windows/update_osg4web_t...@cineca.it_0.0.1.3_.xpi>
click on Allow in upper right tab
click on "install now" in the extension popup
.... it should download the extension  "OSG Viewer Firefox Plugin 0.0.1.3"

I think it would really be good to join effort on this topic.

On my side, I keep my work in a bazaar repo: if interested, check it out
doing
bzr checkout
http://3d.cineca.it/storage/bazaar_repo/BrowserEmbed/test_merge/

Thank you very much, I also think joining efforts will be a good path,
but I also think if we upload a version to OSG repository then
comunity will also help us, of course if Robert agree with us.
I think we could try to leverage some Distrributed Code Revision Tools (Git, Mercurial, Bazaar) for this stage of this project: It seem to me that the current policy for OSG submission are too much cumbersome, and i do not think we need to change anything in
OSG, just use it
In the next days we will prepare a osgfirefox example to submit as a
basis, then we can think in a more generic nodekit for web, so other
browser could be included.

In this regard I have found really interesting the FireBreath project ( http://code.google.com/p/firebreath/ ) I have not really used it yet, just did some early testing, and it seem able to provide good framework for building cross-browser support under windows....
And it is CMake based too ;-)

Best regards

Luigi