Hi Michael,

I looked at the model you linked to and all the TransparencyFactor
values are 1, which according to the documentation in
kfbxsurfacelambert.h means totally transparent - the model has been
incorrectly exported.

Geez, can't trust anyone anymore, not even Microsoft </sarcasm>

Seriously, though, it's a pretty old format from what I understand, so I would have thought software would be able to save it correctly by now.

I checked in XSI, and in the lambert material's properties, there's a transparency checkbox (meaning transparency is enabled - you *can* use transparency on that material) but the transparency color is set to black, meaning that the object is completely opaque. I just checked, and changing that color to all white (in which case the object disappears in XSI of course :) ) doesn't seem to change the output value... The object is still invisible in OSG. I had to uncheck "transparency" for the object to appear (that's without the changes you mention below).

The same thing happened with DAE - Google Sketchup used to export models
with the transparency inverted. To deal with that I used a simple
heuristic to guess whether the model needed its transparency inverting.
I've put the same technique into the FBX plugin, and your model now
looks as the artist intended :)

Thanks a lot.

BTW, if I send you a version of the model re-exported out of XSI (i.e. the model you downloaded was imported into XSI and then exported again still in fbx format), could you check to see why it doesn't load through the OSG FBX plugin? It gets to resolveBindMatrices() (ReaderWriterFBX.cpp line 273) but then at line 117 nodeMap is empty, so resolveBindMatrices() asserts. It would seem that the XSI fbx importer or exporter changed the structure of the scene in a way that the fbx plugin doesn't understand. :-(

I can send you the exported file privately if you have time to check it out.

In any case, thanks for the previous fix at least :-)

J-S