Hi Paul & Jason,

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Jason Daly <jd...@ist.ucf.edu> wrote:
> As you indicated, it seems to be hard-coded at the moment.  There doesn't
> seem to be any way to configure it from the application.  You'll have to
> either change the hard-coded values in your copy of OSG, or dive in and
> implement a way to configure the processor affinity from the application.

Right now you can get the threads that are active and do a
thread->setProcessorAffinity(cpunum) but some OS's require you to
assign the affinity at setup rather than once it's running so it won't
be an option for all.

It's been my plan to revise the way that thread affinity is set up
with the OSG to allow user customization of thread affinity, this
would either have to be done by setting up the GraphicsContext::Traits
and to give hints the DatabasePager prior to the threads starting, or
to have a callback that provides the hints of what affinity to set for
each new thread being created.  The threads would need to identify
themselves in some way for this callback to know what to do with them
- perhaps both a class of thread and other details.

I'm open to suggestions on how this new support might be implemented.