Thanks - I had combined two different problems into one question so it wasn't
clear.

The first problem was - I have a subset of vertices that I want to flag in some
way. One obvious way of doing this was to make a POINTS primitiveset drawable
of them. But I don't want them to be drawn as points - I was wondering if there
was a way of having all the functions of a drawable (memory, loading, saving)
but no drawing. Perhaps by defining my own GL_MODE or by setting some parameter
that stops them being rendered.

The second problem was having a single vertexarray shared by multiple
drawables. If I needed to get the range of vertices used by drawable 'A' the
only option was to walk each drawable finding the high/lowest indices of say a
triangle mesh.
It occured that this had the same solution - if I just stored a drawarray for
each component (cheap since it just has a start and end index) then I can
quickly find which vertices are which component.  But again I don't want to
actually draw these.
I thought perhaps OSG might internally store the ranges of vertexes for each
drawable for it's own reasons and that's what getNumIndices() did.

The quick fix solution is probably to use a vertexattribarray rather than try
and subvert OSG's drawables. Long term the new osg2 format makes it much easier
to add custom types.

Thanks for your time

Martin