Art Tevs wrote:
However if some time ago there was a split into another branch it might became painful to have an external NodeKit compatible with all official osg branches that exists. I mean 2.8.3 is based on 2.8, so between 2.8 and 2.9 there was an API change, this is ok. However both versions 2.8.3 and 2.9.x were maintained in parallel. So for NodeKit developers this would mean we have to take care also on osg branches in our trunks, which might became painful. Therefor I just asked, which kind of solutions there might exists.

I, for one, would not expect any version of osgPPU to be compatible with OSG 2.8.3 other than the same version of osgPPU that was compatible with 2.8.2. I think users should be able to use the same version of osgPPU and simply upgrade OSG from 2.8.2 to 2.8.3 to get the new plugins in 2.8.3. (But they will probably need to rebuild osgPPU because 2.8.3 is not binary compatible with 2.8.2.)

But, ok, never mind, I will try to come up now with a solution to have the best of both worlds, new features and compatible API to the official stable release.

If you want to maintain compatibility with 2.8.x on osgPPU svn trunk, then that is certainly possible, and a worthy goal, but (in my opinion) it is entirely optional and not required for you to do so, because you already have a tagged osgPPU release that is compatible with OSG 2.8.x.

--
  -Paul Martz      Skew Matrix Software
                   http://www.skew-matrix.com/