Hello folks (and J-S).  I am reporting on my progress as stated yesterday.

I'm still not able to get Collada files to texture properly although I am
having success with .3DS (3D Studio) files using the same OSG application code.

J-S, I took your advice and upped the notify level (thanks for that tip as it
is quite useful!).

I am getting two messages that seem relevant to my issue:
1) Currently no support for "texture" in Specular channel
2) Failed to find matching "bind_vertex_input" for UVSET0

Without understanding the details very well (yet) , it seems to me item 2 is a
bigger problem as it can't match up the texture coordinates with the vertices
of my scene (Is this correct?).

Unless someone has a suggestion, my plan is to find these messages in OSG
source code, set a breakpoint , and see if I can gleen any additional info.

Thanks again for your assistance.  I hope to be answering these type of
questions in the future! :)

Regards,
Adam