Hello Vincent,

I was wondering if anyone has tried back porting ffmpeg to 2.8.2? Please advise.

We have used the ffmpeg plugin in OSG versions as old as 2.6 without problems (at least none I can recall now, so if we had any problems they must have been easy to fix).

In theory all you should have to do is copy the plugin's directory (src/osgPlugins/ffmpeg) to your OSG version's source tree, add that directory to src/osgPlugins/CMakeLists.txt, see if there is any Find* script for ffmpeg in the CMakeModules directory and if so, copy that too, and then run CMake to generate build files. Make sure "Show advanced values" is enabled in CMake and fill in any ffmpeg-related fields to point to your ffmpeg includes/libs. Then generate, build and install.

You might have to force OSG to use the ffmpeg plugin when using osgDB::readImageFile() by appending ".ffmpeg" to the end of the path to your movie. Or if you want to explicitly load something through the ffmpeg plugin, you could do this (untested):

  osgDB::ReaderWriter * reader =
    osgDB::Registry::findReaderWriterForExtension("ffmpeg");
  osgDB::ReaderWriter::ReadResult rr =
    reader->readImage(reading->streamURL);
  delete reader;

  if (!rr.validImage())
  {
     // Print warning that the image couldn't be read.
  }
  else
  {
    osg::ref_ptr<osg::Image> image = rr.takeImage();
    // Do something with it.
  }

Hope this helps,

J-S