Hi,

On 02/07/10 17:36, Tom Pearce wrote:
Hi,

q*f in OSG is shorthand for (qc * fq * q). It's the opposite of
what one might expect. There are some inconsistencies...

My approach is always to try it the way I think it should work, and
when it doesn't, start playing with the multiplication order -
eventually something works.  It does mess with my head a bit when I
try and understand the math, but in the end as long as  my code does
what I want, I'm don't worry much.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why quat*vec3 was implemented
the way it was?  Everything I've read (outside of osg) about using
quats to rotate points (ie vectors) says q*fq*qc is the way to do
it.

I think it's merely a convenient overload of "*" that matches matrix*vec... If you go look at the math in the Quat function, it does qc*vq*q.

jp

Cheers, Tom

------------------ Read this topic online here:

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard. The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.