Hi Jeremy,

I'll just echo Robert's comments:

And also: I was officially declared "in remission" about a month ago, so
my short (but interesting!) bout with blood cancer at 29 is over.
Yay. :)

Congrats! That's great news!

As more work goes into osgQt towards OSG3 (and as we get closer to
having full, fist class 2D widgets), I think that osgWidget (in it's
current form) should be removed. It was designed with the very futile
goal of trying to be a 2D UI kit, when it should have been far smaller
and far more generic from the very beginning.

osgQt is far from being ready to do general UIs in the 3D view (as a HUD). It has serious shortcomings (one of them being the requirement of Qt, which is a problem for some projects and not others), some things plain don't work (draggable sub-windows, input fields in some situations, etc.), and it's slower than doing native drawing like osgWidget does. Check out the osgQtWidgets example in current svn to see what I mean.

osgWidget works well for what it does, and I still don't understand what you mean when you say it should have been smaller and more generic... If you're redesigning osgWidget to be smaller, perhaps we could find a way to retrofit the current osgWidget to use your new architecture as a base, or something like that... Because I think current users will want to keep using it like they do now (me included).

Anyways, let us know what your plans are and we'll help. :-)

J-S