Hi Martin,

is it possible to mix two different osg shadow techniques. I would like use the
parallel split shadow map for my terrain and the standard shadow map for my
vehicle.

No, that won't work. At least not easily.

The shadows from your vehicle needs to be cast on your terrain, and if your terrain has mountains or other large features then its shadows need to be cast on your vehicle. The problem is that shadows are only calculated AND applied to objects in the subgraph under the ShadowedScene. So if you have two ShadowedScenes each with its own shadow technique, but each with a different subgraph (one with the terrain, the other with the vehicle under it) each will only calculate and apply shadows to its own subgraph.

I said not easily because you could probably do some intricate setup with the CastShadow node mask and shaders, so that both ShadowedScenes have the whole scene, but one of them calculates shadows from the vehicle and applies them to the terrain, and the other calculates shadows from the rest.

But I've never tried this, it may not work, and you may be doing all the work twice, so it might not be practical. You'll have to try it and see.

Hope this helps,

J-S