Hello everyone! I have recently received funding from what must--for
various reasons--remain an anonymous source, to further develop and
refine osgPango. I've made some updates to the site with new screenshots
and small descriptions, and I wanted to try and solicit some more
feedback since it's been a while since I've mentioned them here:

http://osgpango.googlecode.com

A lot has changed with osgPango (far more mature and flexible API, no
more fixed-function support, up to 8 combinable textures per font,
multi-pass rendering) and I'd be interested to see what people think.

In the very near future I will be providing the equivalent of the famous
"3rd Party" archive for osgPango for Windows. In Linux, it is quite
trivial to compile both osgCairo and osgPango. In Windows, until I can
create the necessary dependency libs, it's best to use the GTK Win32
Developers Bundle:

http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html

In fact, my current client is using osgPango exclusively in Windows,
so don't be too intimidated by the mention of GTK or anything like
that!

The current Text object (a derived class from osg::MatrixTransform)
isn't a drop-in replacement for osgText::Text, but learning how to use
it properly isn't hard. Plus, if you can position a MatrixTransform in
your scene, you can position osgPango::Text geometry in your scene. :)
Or you can create your own Text class and manipulate the Geometry
however you want...

I've also made some pretty significant changes to osgCairo that I'd like
Robert to take a look at. :) A while back he had some interest in Cairo
and didn't really like the idea of creating and maintaining our own C++
wrappers. Well, I've come around to that same manner of thinking, so
osgCairo is really little more than a stripped down wrapper over
osg::Image, a fancy ReadFile implementation, and a few commonly-used
utility functions. It's a tad more sophisticated than what is already in
OSG, but not by much. Perhaps we can revisit this interest that once
was...