Hi Robert,

thanks for the answer. Our scene graph is heavily optimized and there
doesn't seem to be any serious optimization possibilities. Maybe a few
percent improvement from here and there.

We observe that, as our databases grow, the performance requirement for
draw thread grows faster than cull. In the long run, draw will be a
serious limiting factor for us. So I wanted to see if we can take
advantage of hardware to solve the problem.

tugkan

> Hi Tugkan,
>
> It only ever makes sense to parallelize draw dispatch when you have
> multiple graphics cards and one context per graphics card.  Trying to
> add more threads than OpenGL/graphics card can handle will just stall
> things and result in lower performance.
>
> If your draw dispatch is overloaded then consider optimizing your
> scene graph.  There are many ways of doings, which way that might
> appropriate will depend entirely on the needs of your scenes and your
> application.  Since I don't know anything about these specifics I
> can't provide any direction.
>
> Robert.
>
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Tugkan Calapoglu <tug...@vires.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we have a performance problem where the draw thread seems to be the
>> bottleneck. The target hw has 8 cores and a single GPU.
>>
>> We already run cull and draw in parallel but parallelizing draw itself
>> would also help.
>>
>> So I tried following setup:
>>
>> 2 windows
>> 2 cameras (each on one window)
>> threading model: CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext
>>
>> In this mode, I can see that I have two cull and two draw threads and
>> they are assigned to separate cores. However, the performance is 1/2 of
>> my original setup. Setting OSG_SERIALIZE_DRAW_DISPATCH to ON or OFF does
>> not make any difference.
>>
>> Is there anything else I have to do to get good performance from above
>> setup (e.g. some more env. vars to set)? Or should I try something
>> completely different?
>>

>> thanks,
>> tugkan

Tugkan Calapoglu