Hi Robert,

I'm not clear on what solution should be used going forward.  The
GraphicsWindowWin32.cpp code had been in play for a few years without
problems being reported on this topic and to get a report or new
problem after merging Vivien's changes make me concerned that we may
have broken more apps usage than might have fixed.  Could this be the
case?  Or is Brad's experience unique?

I think Nick's message shows that it may be Brad's app's message passing that's the cause of his problem. If the osgViewerMFC example works, and it demonstrates proper integration between OSG and MFC, and furthermore, the other OSG examples and apps that come with it work fine on Windows (when GraphicsWindowWin32 is used) then I think the changes to GraphicsWindowWin32 are OK.

I'm inclined for the 2.9.9 dev release to revert the changes, and then
let us discuss possible solutions.

I don't think that's necessary at this point. As I said above, the changes seem fine. There may be other changes going forward, for sure, but I think the code is safe as it is.

> In the past we've talked about the
idea of having raw key codes as well as translated keycodes in the
GUIEventAdapter, would this help here?

Perhaps, the raw key codes would be the keyup and keydown messages from the OS, and the translated code would be the accented character in the case dead keys were being used. Brad gave an example of a game that wants to check a given key directly, it would use the raw key codes, and a text editor/e-mail app (or osgWidget::Input) would use the translated key code. It would be a flexible solution.

Now, where will we find a developer to implement this? :-)

J-S