Hello Mike,

I would like to create a 2D background (can this be done using the main camera?
If so how?) I would then like to have other multiple cameras each rendering
their own 3D sub scene with a transparent background (how does each camera have
a transparent background?) but be able to position the output of the 3D cameras
on the 2D background. I was thinking adding all the 3D cameras as slaves to the
parent but then I wondered how can I translate the output of each camera on the
2D background. Would I need to put a MatrixTransform above the cameras? If I am
adding the 3D cameras as slaves how can I put a MatrixTransform above them?

I would do each background by creating a textured quad that fills the view and rendered before everything else with depth write off.

Then your idea of slave cameras is good, and for each of your slave cameras you can specify an osg::Viewport that will give, in pixel coordinates, where you want the camera to render inside the main window (the view's master camera will have its viewport set to fill the window).

Using RTT for this is overkill IMHO.

Hope this helps,

J-S