Hi Simon

> 1. Is there a way to configure the StateSet object or the Geometry object
> to somehow "tell" each vertex what texture it should use (given I don't want
> to change the order of the vertices - which I fear I will have to)?

The easiest way I can think to do this is with shaders and creating a new
vertex attribute array of integers that stores the texture unit used for
each vertex. Or you could store the data in a texture and use vertex texture
lookups if you have support for those.

> 2. Won't this be a bit of a problem for the performance?

If you use the shader method I don't see it impacting that heavily. Any
fixed function multi pass stuff might have a bigger impact

> 3. The edited model has a spherical shape, so I would like the textures to
> be displayed as in a spherical environment. Is there a way to compute the
> TexCoord Vec2's in a similar way as UVW Map modifier for max, but in real
> time?

Look at reflection map shaders, they show how to use the objects normal to
compute a texture cord in a 2d map. You essentially want 3d spherical coords
(or normal dir) to 2d cartesian coords.

Hope that helps
Tom