Phone: +46 708 490697
Fax: +46 13 9913093
andreas.ekstr...@remograph.com <mailto:andreas.ekstr...@remograph.com>

*Remograph AB*
Norrbergavägen 58
SE-590 54 Sturefors
SWEDEN
www.remograph.com <http://www.remograph.com/>

On 2011-02-24 15:40, Tomlinson, Gordon wrote:

Hi Murray

In my experience this looks like a classic transparency sorting issue/problem when you have objects that have transparency and their objects bounding volumes intersect,( I would also say this has little to do with you using open flight)

This happens because for efficiency scene graphs sort transparent object at a geode level and not at a polygonal level, you find this has been discussed many time in many places

If you look at you model its likely that you Rotors are in one object and then the windows/glass in another ( you might have more), is you the think of their 2 bounding spheres they will be intersecting, so as you view changes then how that are possibly sorted will change hence you get the punch through effect you see.

One way to try to minimize this is to try and ensure when you create a model you don't create overlap transparency that overlap, this can be challenging to do depending on what you are modeling

(you also have to watch for optimizers in Scenegraphs that try to chunk like materials and texturing in to one group as this can artificially introduce overlaps)

You can also try to use a an opaque texture to represent windows/port holes (do you really need them to be transparent?) to help.

You can create you own render bin that sorts at the triangle level for these models

*/Gordon Tomlinson/*

*/3D Technology/**//*

*/System Engineering Consultant/*

*/Overwatch®/*

*/An Operating Unit of Textron Systems/**//*