Hi,

I would like to include several attributes of openflight face records, namely
Surface Material Code, and Feature ID into the scene graph. Essentialy I am
looking at modifying the openflight plugin and the ive plugin to read/write
these attributes.
I want to use this information as a "cost" of movement for entities, so that a
vehicle moves slower over dirt than over tarmac. Basically I need to be able to
get access to the data using intersectors under the wheels.

I am using OSG release 2.8.3 and I have noticed that in the source code of the
openflight plugin src\osgPlugins\OpenFlight\GeometryRecords.cpp the data is
skipped/discarded (lines 259,260 and lines 826,827)

Code:
/*int16 surface =*/ in.readInt16();
/*int16 feature =*/ in.readInt16();

My question is: where is the most logical place to store this data in the scene
graph. Should I just store it as user data for the stateset or the geode or
should I define a new class derived from osg::StateAttribute and add an
instance of this object to the stateset of the face?
What would be the caveats of these aproaches?

P.S. I am fairly new to OpenSceneGraph and my knowledge of OpenGL is basic.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Robert