Hi,

You use  ASTER data? Am I right that ASTER is public available? I played 2
years ago with the ASTER data as it was initially released. It has great
resolution, but it had also lots of artefacts. Do you use raw or somehow
corrected ASTER data? - As you can see, I'm on the never ending quest for
public available DEM and texture data :)

Well, in the DEM raster data, some value represents zero meters elevation. To
achieve a smooth transition, you should blend at the border of your source
images from your original value to that null value.

In a geotiff, this would be a blending of the grey value (which represents the
elevation). You can perform this blending in a graphical software like gimp.
Your blending zone has to be a "frame" at the border of your DEM region. You
have to blend from the original elevation value to the 0 meters elevation value
 -for example with a alpha value ramp (inside your blending zone 100% elevation
and 0% 0-meters-color, at the outer border of your DEM-Data 0% elevation and
100% 0-meters-color)

Sorry for that bad explanation.. :)

Cheers,
Torben