ClipNode is positional state (like lights). It just needs to be somewhere in your scene graph, and it it in effect at *any* part of your scene graph that enables GL_CLIP_PLANEn. So the placement of ClipNode relative to the cow is irrelevant.

Don't know about Javier's "CappingEffect"; I'd just use a Camera node to post-render a fullscreen quad with appropriate stencil settings. It'll only show up on the capped area if done correctly. Be sure to specify a normal that matches your clip plane for correct lighting.
   -Paul