To try to isolate the problem further, I downloaded several GDAL precompiled
distributions from this site:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries
including:
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/
and
OSGeo4W
With each GDAL version, I changed the GDAL_DIR environmental variable and
recreated the VPB files using CMake.  The linking error is the same regardless
of the GDAL dependency that I am using, so I think that the problem lies in the
Visual Studio bug pointed out by Mattias.  I hope that I am putting the block
of CMake code that Mattias posted in the correct location in the CMake file
itself.  I simply inserted it alongside the only other IF(MSVC) statement that
I found in the CMake file...