Paul Martz wrote:

> How many first-person rendering systems use the ModelView matrix unmodified?

The fact that the ModelView matrix is often modified isn't the correct way to
look at the problem - we need to consider how the system behaves when it is the
identity.

Paul Martz wrote:

> How many first-person rendering systems use the ModelView matrix unmodified?
> The answer is none, they all set the ModelView matrix to something, and when
> app software sets that matrix, the app _must_ make a choice about what _it_
> wants for a coordinate system. The OpenGL default is therefore irrelevant.

An app or SDK can indeed make a choice about which coordinate system to use.
However the Y-up OpenGL default is still irrelevant. To illustrate this,
consider the OSG implementation of Matrix_implementation::getLookAt(). The code
for calculating the up-vector is:

Code:
up = transform3x3(*this,osg::Vec3d(0.0,1.0,0.0));

 which very much relies on the fact that the coordinate system is Y-up.

If we pretended that Z-up had equal footing to Y-up then we'd be prone to
writing incorrect code such us:

Code:
up = transform3x3(*this,osg::Vec3d(0.0,0.0,1.0));

Regards,
Mik Wells