Hi,

Did you had a look on the result of the simplifier ?
I'm not OSG'simplifier master but sometimes simplifiers just cannot simplify
more, so the results remains nearly the same.

Maybe you could create your own simplified geometries for example a
(colored) cube for a building (6 faces, even 5 if you don't need the lower
one).
You also can use fog to hide the far building and so avoid having to load
them, or just use LOD with no child as lower detailed level geometry so
nothing to cull and draw.
These are just ideas, but I can ensure you that a 80MB ive file is not
something heavy and OSG is certainly able to manage your scene.

Hope it helps !

Regards,
    Vincent.