Hi, again, Gianni...

I think our design approach is largely due to the fact that we only wanted
to apply our material to very specific parts of the scene graph, and
applying a material at a group node in our scene might cause unwanted
material changes in other areas of the scene graph.

So, I don't think it will actually help you in your case (but I could be
wrong; it happens often enough).

Still, the approach has some merit if you want that fine tuned control (and
if it worked the way you wanted it to work).

Sorry I couldn't help more...

D.J.