From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Chris
'Xenon' Hanson
Sent: jueves, 19 de enero de 2012 18:26
To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
Subject: Re: [osg-users] Play audio files

On 1/19/2012 2:17 AM, Héctor Martínez wrote:
> I am currently using SDLaudio for playing the sound of the videos I am
> using, but when trying to load 2 or more videos at the same time, it
> only plays one of them (and not always). I have read that SDL only
> allows one audio channel, so I think I have to start using something else.
I want also to play other audio files (mp3, ogg, wav, whatever).

> So, which is the best option right now? I have read about osgAL and
> openAL. I don’t know which one is better with the version I am using
> (OSG 3.0.1) or if there is a better solution to these two. Another
> thing to consider is that I would like to work with LGPL (or similar)
> licenses if possible. I think those libraries are LGPL, but as they depend
on additional libraries I am not sure if I can use them as LGPL or not.

  As the creator of osgAudio, I can answer this.

  osgAudio is the literal and philosophical child of osgAL. We started
osgAudio using the osgAL source, fixed a number of design and implementation
issues, added compile-time selection of audio backend (openAL or FMOD) and
polished it up. Thus, osgAudio.

  Even openAL's creator agrees that you should probably use osgAudio now,
since it has newer fixes.

  OpenAL was LGPL, now proprietary (Creative Labs):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL
  You'll have to interpret their licensing yourself.

  There is also OpenAL Soft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL#OpenAL_Soft
  "OpenAL Soft is an LGPL-licensed, cross-platform, software implementation"

  FMOD is proprietary but has a non-commercial license:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMOD
"FMOD is available under multiple license schemes: FMOD Non-Commercial
License, which allows software not intended for commercial distribution to
use FMOD for free."

  You could fairly easily add support for other backends to osgAudio if you
wished, but I'm not aware of too many other 3d spatial audio toolkits.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/