Scott, there must be something about your issue that I don't understand, because I think it would be pretty easy to accomplish what you want.

You have a model with an orientation and a translation, and you want to display coordinate axes that represent that. Just draw your axes under a transform node that contains both the orientation and translation.

You also want to draw a second set of axes at the same location, but without the model's orientation. Just draw those axes under a second transform node that contains the translation only.

If you want to get fancy, you can experiment with hierarchical concatenation of matrices so that the translation only appears once, or you can also play with inverse matrices, etc. All this depends on the organization of your application and your scene graph, and your level of comfort with linear algebra. But I'd think the simple approach would certainly work. Unless I'm missing something...?
   -Paul