Apparently I spoke too soon; the method I described in my last post doesn’t
work when I rotate the viewer.  If I had an object outside the texture
projection area and rotated it so it should obscure the image, I could see the
image through the object.  Likewise, if I had an object inside the projection
and rotated so that the top appeared to be outside the projection area, I would
not see the projection on the part of the object outside the projection area.

Another technique I tried was to use clipping planes.  I used two nodes that
each added the rest of my scene as a child.  One node did not use the texture
projection, and the other did use it but also added a ClipNode in order to clip
everything but the desired texture projection area.  This resulted in
Z-fighting between my image and the color of the underlying geometry.

Finally I tried a hybrid of the two methods, where I took my stencil mask node
and added a child ClipNode, then added my model as a child of the ClipNode.  I
wanted the stencil to “wrap” exactly the model, but only within the borders of
my image.  However, the ClipNode had no effect.  The appearance was that the
texture was applied to my entire scene, and everything outside my image
boundary was dark, like my original problem.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
Mike