On 03/06/2012 11:58 AM, Ethan Fahy wrote:
Thanks for the info guys.  I'll have to think about the best way forward a bit.
 I'm still hesitant to add generic vertex attributes just because it seems like
it would add to a given node's memory usage and since I don't use the node's
color values for anything other than lookup table purposes I might as well
store stuff in those colors since everything I draw is going to have to have
memory allocated for colors no matter what.  I would also like to think that
the code I'm writing will always be used on newer GeForce cards, I don't think
that I can know that for certain as it would ultimately be distributed to some
not-so-powerful computers to run on.

I understand your hesitance. Most of the tutorials are written with the more traditional vertex attributes, and when you're just starting out, it can be simpler to think in those terms. If it works for you, then by all means, go with it.

As you continue to learn, though, I'd just encourage you to keep in mind that modern cards don't have any distinction between different kinds of vertex attributes anymore. Every attribute, whether it's labeled "normals", "colors", "texture coordinates", or whatever, is simply a per-vertex value that is used by the vertex shader (there's always a vertex shader running under the hood, even if you don't specify your own).

--"J"