As Jan says, I believe it's some kind of dumb filter.

I tried posting to my other list to ask how this was set up, and my post was rejected because the subject line contained both the name of the list and the word "digest". Apparently that was enough to trigger the rejection filter. I re-posted with a different subject line; if I hear back from the list admin with more details, I'll post that info here.
   -Paul