Hi

shadow2DProj(sampler, tc.xyzw)  returns float result of shadow comparision test (so it is eccentially 0 or 1) between value stored in texture and tc.z/tc.w, it may be filtered across 2x2 tap (PCF) if texture filter set to linear and such filtering supported by hardware (obviously, with this filtering you'll get more different values).
if you need raw depth value use texture2DProj(sampler, ...)

Cheers.