Thanks for the reply. The problem I had was that I had only a OSG-debug build.
The FindPackage funktions can either find release libs or release&debug libs,
but if you provide only debug libs (with d postfix), there is no luck, the find
will abort.

Finally I had a release and a debug build, but they reside in different
directories. So there was the next problem...

I had to analyse the osg find package scripts, and finally I used env OSGDIR
for the release path and OSG_ROOT for the debug path.

I hope this post can help somebody save some time ...

My suggestion would actually be that if only  debug libs (with d postfix) are
provided, that those libs are taken for release and debug applications build....