Hi Bill,

No doubt you are ambitious, maybe even a little mad, but both are fine
assets for a programmer.  The other assets you'll need to temper these
aspect will being patient in learning and coding, and being realistic with
your short and long term goals.

Technically what you want to achieve is all doable with the OSG, and in
terms of scaling to handling whole earth databases it's probably one of the
best SDK's in the world for doing it - lots of the OSG users already use it
for precisely this reason.  With this great power comes complexity though,
the OSG is a power users SDK that professional developers use rather than
an entry level SDK.  This does mean you'll have to accept a steep learning
curve and be patient with getting to grips with it.  Reading the published
OSG books will be an invaluable tool.

On the software tech front I think osgEarth may well be the best tool for
visualizing the data you want.  This NodeKit sits ontop the OSG and
integrates very well. The alternative is to build your own pages databases
using VirtualPlanetBuilder, but for this you'll need your own data.

Robert.