Hi Nav,

On 8 January 2013 03:21, Nav Joseph <nk...@tatapowersed.com> wrote:
> My question is as an offset to a discovery that osgEarth does not allow
> saving a map it generates, to the hard disk.

The OSG and hence osgEarth should support creation of a local file
cache of tiles, modification of the tiles at runtime prior to saving
to the cache might be possible by use a Registry::ReadFileCallback.

> So I was wondering that if osgEarth is only for displaying maps, and virtual
> planet builder was to split up a map into tiles and lod's, and osgEdit was
> meant only for minor modelling of a scene, then that leaves me with only OSG
> itself, which has to be programmed in such a way that it allows me to edit a
> scene the way I want to edit it.
>
> Eg.If I have a vector map (in whatever format) and I want to change a few
> details (like the color of a few lines) in it and save the map (as .osg or
> .ive or any other format), is my only option to use OSG for this task? What
> is the best way to edit maps using osg related tools? I'm ready to do some
> amount of programming related to it, as long as I can customize it as per the
> intricate details I want to edit. Raster, vector and maybe even DEM.

How you want to go about things depends greatly upon what type of data
you want to visualize, how you want to visualize it and how you want
to modify parts of the data or visualization.  If you are using a
system like osgEarth that reads the raw data and generates a scene
graph dynamically then you'd want to either pre-process the raw data
prior to osgEarth reading it, or adapt osgEarth's scene graph
generation to honour what medications you want.  Or you could just
post process the scene graph generated by osgEarth.

Alternatively you could use VPB or other tools to create a complete
scene graph on disk then just load the tiles and modify and re-save
them as required, keeping everything in an OSG native format.

Which approach is best for you needs I can't answer based on the
details you've provided.