Hi Frank -- Just adding to what Robert said:

Although FrameBufferObject does derive from StateAttribute, I have never seen it used as an attribute attached to a StateSet. Rather, it's something that Camera uses essentially internally.

Previous postings from Art Tevs (osgPPU) have warned of issues when attaching a FrameBufferObject as an attribute to a StateSet... I think he expected it to override the FrameBufferObject used by some parent Camera, but it didn't work that way. There were possibly other issues too, I don't recall.

The bottom line is that you should probably not use FrameBufferObject directly, and should always let Camera manage it for you.
   -Paul